Friday, September 4, 2009

Other assorted goodies...

I discovered soon that the doodles I was making were a very versatile graphic. Not only did they bring vivacity to otherwise dull items they let your imagination carry you to new ideas too! Like these cushion/pillows. I originally designed them to decorate my studio! I just love these cute little things peeping at me from all corners. But then as I toyed with the idea of making them into commercial products I was stuck with their obvious frivolity. What do you need cushions for. They are not big enough to use as pillows, too graphic to use as throw pillows in formal living areas... too many issues. So they were relegated to the 'vanity projects' section - the section where I keep all ideas who's only purpose is to serve my vanity ;p.



That's where they lay for a good 3 months until on a wise friend's suggestion, they have found a noble cause for themselves, and serve as vanity and health aids! :) We have stuffed these cushions with organic mustard seeds and rice grains! They are now hot/cold medicinal packs.

All you do is pop the snug@doodle (that's what we are calling it right now) into the microwave for 30 seconds or in the freezer for about 15 minutes & you have a wonderful health aid!!!

The fact that it is organic inside out (save for the printing) it can be used for tiny babies too to decongest their chests during the wet season! And the weight of some of the smaller cushions serves as a soothing aid to keep on the chest of sleeping infants, like a parent's hand, to keep them from startling themselves when they sleep.




Along with the snug@doodles, the graphics look fab on a range of bags. These are also Organic & Fair trade cotton bags onto which the graphic has been digitally printed.

Following are some images of similar bags with screen printed designs.
As of now I am using conventional colours, but I have already found a more eco-friendly option and hopefully by the end of the year I will find a source too so that my entire product becomes truly organic!









Another item that always frustrated me was aprons! I have never got an apron that I liked. The colours, prints, graphics, material, structure was all so mismatched. So i decided to make my own! And here is what we have to start with. In the coming months we will be adding more colours and graphics to this range.




The hunt for these resources is very thrilling! And I am so happy to find that in most cases, all I have had to do is ask! It is all around us but not in one place...


Hopefully the Doodle Factory can be that place! :D

2 comments:

  1. Heya great work! Would love to interview you for my upcoming blog. Mail me whenever you get some time ya. shradharao@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love your work and have been following at E?O whenever I visit - ritika is more or less family and I have your doodle diary as a gift from her. I love what you have done with the poems and my husband ( a punjabi) is learning Marathi via those! I wonder whether you could do a lazy cat version for my house? I have two golden and a gray cat and I just love how you have made them so adorable. Let me know please!

    ReplyDelete