Friday, September 4, 2009

The Heritage Series from The Doodle Factory


As I began to doodle more seriously, I hit upon the idea to doodle about subjects that have been close to my heart but have found little representation in merchandise. One such topic was Marathi Nursery Rhymes. We have all grown up listening to these and they have a special meaning for all of us - the memories of the time, the people who taught us and the carefree spirit of that age.



I also wanted to create something meaningful for my children. They are growing up in an environment of confusing influences. They choose to associate themselves more with Disney than with Shivaji and I feel hurt that they feel little sense of pride in our tradition, culture and history.


As far as my observation has been, they are more drawn to the imagery than the idea. Mickey and Donald, Lizzie McGuire, Hannah Montana, Dora the Explorer, Charlie and Lola are all their heroes because of what they do and how they do it. A Chota Bhim doesn't look as impressive physically and some of the stories are downright objectionable. Children DO NOT like it when they get mixed messages from the media and are quick to shun that which doesn't appeal to them.

For me the challenge was to make my daughters feel proud of who they are and where they come from, over and above feeling proud of what they have or can buy. If they liked these graphics my work was done. :) Children can be your toughest critics. But it pays to take them seriously.

The following few images are a series of illustrations I made under the Heritage series featuring 6 famous Marathi poems.




I have them printed on Organic Cotton Bags, Magnetic Bookmarks made from recycled paper and Mugs.





Naachre Moraa




Saang saang bholaanaath



Zhuk zhuk zhuk zhuk ageenagaadi


Chocolatechaa bunglaa



Chandobaa chandobaa



Yere yere pausaa



This is the whole range of products for 'Chandobaa chandobaa'.

All these product are available at the Warsaa stores at Ishanya Mall & Shaniwarwada, Pune,
Either Or, Pune and soon will be available at Loose Ends, Mumbai.

2 comments:

  1. hello Aditi,i read your blog and found it very interesting,especially the idea of living the old Marathi Nursery Ryhmes, just got back memories of yester years, Ryhmes sung to me by mom.
    i am looking forward to going and buying some more products of The Doodle Factory . Just to share 'Chandobaa chandobaa'was my fav Ryhme one.
    thanks. Preetam Lunawat

    ReplyDelete